1 1/2 hours study of trees
...and the riverbank study so far
Lessons learnt over the course of painting?
- FIND A KEY (so important- find the darkest darks and the lightest lights as soon as possible, saves a ton of time in terms of establishing the early landmarks in the painting)
- A bit too specific, but find a technique/method suitable to the task at hand (in this case, a darker tone for the canvas would be more suitable in both paintings as to avoid problems with working wet-into-wet, or having your key lost when the canvas cannot be covered in time)
- Humidity and high temperatures are another factor in working outdoors (be prepared.)
- The study above was unsuccessful because it's too mannered, (i.e. sacrificed good drawing for the sake of fancy brushtrokes). Too fancy, not enough information.
- Value problems, still (if I squint, everything seems to blend into a neutral blobby shape, the design wasn't resolved as well as it should)
Round two commences.